[rfc-i] I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-02.txt

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Sep 26 20:55:02 PDT 2008

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 5:57 PM -0700 9/26/08, Fred Baker wrote:
>> OK, so tell me this. Can one read UTF8 while hanging upside down from
>> a chin-up bar in the bowels of a machine room when <bleep> is
>> happening and one really needs to get it right?
> Yes. I have not come across a text editor or display program in the
> past five years that would balk at showing you the file.

During one or another of the IDN-or-related bits of working group confusion, I
raised a concern that was in the same camp:  we have a long-standing lingua
franca, called net-ascii, and the current effort was, in effect, to re-define it
to be utf-8.

My obvious question was the same as here:  Has the world changed so much that we
can honestly claim that it is universally -- not just "widely" supported as the
least-common denominator in the character-encoding game.

Various folk with significant internet development and operations experience and
a seriously conservative bent responded in the affirmative.

Personally, I'm still not comfortable with changing that base, but it's hard to
call that anything more than being fixed in my ways...

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking