[rfc-i] I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-02.txt

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Sep 26 18:45:34 PDT 2008

At 5:57 PM -0700 9/26/08, Fred Baker wrote:
>OK, so tell me this. Can one read UTF8 while hanging upside down from
>a chin-up bar in the bowels of a machine room when <bleep> is
>happening and one really needs to get it right?

Yes. I have not come across a text editor or display program in the
past five years that would balk at showing you the file. It might not
display the non-ASCII characters correctly, but it would display the
file.

Note that the proposal in question limits UTF-8 to parts of the
document that are non-critical, unless the part happens to be showing
non-ASCII characters in an example. If the latter is the case, and
this is critical to you, it is likely that you will check and
re-check the example, just as you would any critical example in any
RFC.

>This is not an argument about UTF8, mind you.

Er, yes it is. This proposal is very narrowly scoped to UTF8.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium