[rfc-i] FW: I-D Action:draft-rfc-image-files-01.txt

Stephen Nadas stephen.nadas at ericsson.com
Thu Sep 25 15:25:17 PDT 2008

(per Bob's note, as to where to discuss this sending to RFC interest.
Steve)

Hi Bob, John,

I have read this draft and I support this (imho) very good idea.  An
unmentioned added advantage of this approach is that the figures in the
image files will not be broken by page breaks as sometimes happens.

I think I understand from this that it is possible to have a figure
without any corresponding ASCII art version (discussed end section 4.2)
- perhaps it is a good idea to have the example fig list cover this
case, i.e.,  "Figure 8: Foo .... *89"?

A future version, imho, would be enhanced by some well placed MUSTs (eg
sect 6, point 2 where the capitalized DO NOT appears, possibly other
places.)

In section 6 points 2 & 6. Re the placeholder discussion: I'd like to
hear what ietf tools people (e.g. xml2rfc) think about the bundling
question.   As this proposes at most 1 extra file/rfc (or draft), I
think bundling is  overkill.

I think it's worth considering whether to add a
"draft-rfc-image-files-xx.img.pdf" as an example and as a way to check
the tools changes (although I think there is a chicken and egg issue as
to how exactly to do this.)  This image file could contain figures that
are hard to do in ASCII.

I have some other minor comments:

1) last sentence of 4.2, i think there is a typo.  Consider s/need
have/need not have/ i.e., "Note that very simple ASCII artwork need not
have corresponding material in the image file."

2) in section 6 point 2 i think there is some extraneous text
"vspace/>[[anchor10:" in mid paragraph

3) section 9. i think there is some extraneous text "[[anchor14:"

Thanks,
Steve

[snip]