[rfc-i] Role of the Editorial Board

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Tue Sep 23 10:30:48 PDT 2008

Hi folks:

Sorry to be joining the discussion a few days late but I'd been tracking
this list by reading the archives rather than subscribing (trying to
reduce mailbox load -- my mistake).

Anywa, regarding the proposal to split the Editorial Board into two
functions, an Editorial Board and Advisory Board, is, if you'll pardon
me, a classic computer scientist response of trying to put everything
into nice clean (binary!) packages.

Having been an editor of publications myself, my experience is that
advisory boards that aren't actually doing work aren't useful.  So if
you split Editorial and Advisory you get an Editorial Board that does
work and an Advisory Board that is a useless appendage.

If you keep them together, the board, because it is involved in the
editorial work (even if part-time), has a deeper sense of the editor's
needs and a better ability to advise.  And, as a community, we
certainly are historically comfortable with people wearing multiple
hats -- why not accept it here in the interests of getting work done.

Or... putting the point more firmly.  Why "fix" something that's working?

Thanks!

Craig

Member, RFC Editorial Board
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
Outreach Director, GENI Project Office
Adjunct Professor, University of Michigan

E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com
Phone: +1 517 324 3425