[rfc-i] Role of the Editorial Board

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:12:13 PDT 2008

On 2008-09-23 09:19, Russ Housley wrote:
> Bob:
>
>> It seems to me that you will, by some mechanisms to be determined, choose
>> an RFC Editor and an IndSub Editor.  It seems to me that both should
>> be able to organize their efforts as they see fit.  This organization may
>> include choosing a group of people to provide advice.  They might
>> choose the same
>> group of people -- and current experience shows that can work well.  A set of
>> senior technical people with a relatively long experience in the IETF is
>> not a bad recipe for a first-order set of IndSub reviewers.
>
> I strongly agree.  Each should be able to do their job.  We should
> not impose one board on them.  If they choose to look to the same
> people for advice, that is fine, but not required.

Exactly, and I thought Olaf's proposed rewrite was fine.

I understand Bob's reluctance to accrete bureaucracy. I wouldn't
object to starting out with the same set of people constituting
both Boards. But I think it's important to keep the roles very
distinct, in particular to guarantee the true independence of
the Independent stream.

    Brian