[rfc-i] Role of the Editorial Board

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Sep 22 12:42:27 PDT 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 8:34 PM, Bob Braden wrote:

> At 01:53 PM 9/21/2008, Russ Housley wrote:
>> Olaf:
>>
>> I agree that two boards, each serving a particular need, is better
>> than one board with two masters.
>>
>> Russ
>
> Russ,
>
> Personal opinion: terrible idea.  The board has NO masters, it might
> only serve two functions.

The word 'master' was my choice of words. Not the best if taken
literarily, and suggesting conflict of interest where there is none.

Moving beyond that choice of wording.

What I got out of Brian's message is that the two boards may have such
distinct knowledge, experience, and expertise that in time they may
grow to have little overlap.

I think it is fairly unrealistic to expect two boards with little
overlap to be created at the moment we start implementing the model.
In fact that would be a terrible idea. But allowing them to evolve
separately and focus on their own expertise seems like a opportunity
more than a thread.

That said, I am interested in the other arguments you may have why two
boards _is_ a terrible idea.

--Olaf