[rfc-i] RFC Editor structure

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Mon Sep 22 10:22:27 PDT 2008

Brian,

  *> >
  *> > Question is how to pick the RFC Editor to sustain the RFC Series.
  *>

you wrote:

  *> The IAB is the guardian of the series.

Brian,

I am intrigued by this statement.  I do not recall having heard this
claim before.  The RFC Editor always (well, for the past 10 years)
acknowledged that the RFC Editor operates under the "general direction"
of the IAB.  More recently, the IAB has been asserting an increasingly
detailed authority over some areas that previously were considered to
be delegated to the RFC Editor.  However, none of this seems to be an
assertion of guardianship of the series.  It seems to me that the
community as a whole are the guardians of the series.  The IAB merely
provides direction, general or not, to the RFC Editor.

Note that RFC 2850 has parallel language for the RFC Editor and for
IANA; would you assert that the IAB is the guardian of the IANA
registries? You could, I suppose, but that seems a stretch.

Bob Braden