[rfc-i] Role of the Editorial Board

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Sun Sep 21 10:57:26 PDT 2008

On Sep 21, 2008, at 4:01 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> A little bit of revisionism on my part, after reading your helpful
> comments
> below.
>
> I see two roles here - a general Advisory Board role for the RFC
> series
> as a whole, and a very specific Editorial Board role for the
> independent
> submissions stream. The former is very specific to the nature of
> RFCs, and
> the latter is closely analagous to the Editorial Board of an academic
> journal, or the Program Committee of an academic conference.
>
> I think both of these roles are valuable, and they might even be
> filled
> by the same people. But they are separate roles, and the proposal as
> circulated by Olaf seems to mix them up, which I think is what was
> bothering me.

Fair enough, however I do think that there needs to be some continuity.

I suggest to catch that in text like:

<straw-man>
=The RFC Editorial Board.

Today the RFC Editor is supported by an Editorial Board this board
provides technical review of documents submitted to the Independent
stream as well as editorial advice with respect to the RFC series as a
whole. In the model above the board would have a dual role and serve
two masters therefore this model proposes two boards: An Editorial
Board working with the Independent Stream Editor and an Advisory Board
advising the RFC Editor function.

The boards are appointing and chaired by the Independent Stream Editor
and the RFC Editor function respectively.

  </straw-man>

I think this would allow the two boards to be bootstrapped from the
current RFC Editorial board. The thing that worries me (a wee tiny
bit) is frantic behavior with respect to the appointments. I think
that if that ever happens there is always the IAB or the IAOC to step
through.

Any thoughts from the board itself (or its members)?

--Olaf