[rfc-i] RFC Editor structure

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:50:44 PDT 2008

Ray,

On 2008-09-17 01:34, Ray Pelletier wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 6:00 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>> On 2008-09-12 04:08, Bob Braden wrote:
>>> SM wrote: *
>>>
>>>  *>
>>>  *> As in any structure, there is a need for accountability.  How is the
>>>  *> Independent Streams Editor accountable to the community?  To whom is
>>>  *> the RFC Editor accountable?
>>>  *>
>>>
>>> The accountability and transparency of the Independent Streams
>>> Editor function are spelled out in some detail in RFC 4846.
>>>
>>> Bob Braden
>>> (Current incumbent in the Independent Streams Editor position)
>>
>> My personal view at the moment is that the proposal put forward by
>> Olaf as a consensus candidate is more complicated than necessary.
>> I see nothing in the current model that will cause difficulty in the
>> processing and publication of the variously approved streams defined
>> in RFC 4844. There is a tactical argument for separating out the
>> Publisher
>> function so that it could, in theory, be jointly contracted with other
>> IT services such as I-D publication. But that doesn't justify the
>> separation
>> of the nominal "RFC Editor" warm body as a separate contractual entity.
>> I'd roll that into the Production contract.
>
> Question is how to pick the RFC Editor to sustain the RFC Series.

The IAB is the guardian of the series. I don't think we *need*
a separate warm body in that role, now that we have clearly separated
out the guardian of the Independent stream.

> Shall
> the IAOC do it by RFP and see what XYZ, ABC and 123 Corp proffer as the
> Editor, or should there be a community based process by which one is
> selected?

There's a community based process that selects the IAB, whose charter
already includes oversight of the RFC series (RFC2850 secion 2d). Recent
evidence is that the IAB takes this very seriously.

> I don't know who the companies will propose every 2 - 3 years, but I
> have a high degree of confidence in a community based process to select
> from a significant number of highly qualified individuals, and do so
> time after time.

Well yes. But by adding one more slot to the 12 IAB slots that already
oversee the RFC series, I don't see any win.

   Brian