[rfc-i] RFC Editor structure

Ray Pelletier rpelletier at isoc.org
Tue Sep 16 06:34:53 PDT 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 6:00 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> On 2008-09-12 04:08, Bob Braden wrote:
>> SM wrote: *
>>
>>  *>
>>  *> As in any structure, there is a need for accountability.  How
>> is the
>>  *> Independent Streams Editor accountable to the community?  To
>> whom is
>>  *> the RFC Editor accountable?
>>  *>
>>
>> The accountability and transparency of the Independent Streams
>> Editor function are spelled out in some detail in RFC 4846.
>>
>> Bob Braden
>> (Current incumbent in the Independent Streams Editor position)
>
> My personal view at the moment is that the proposal put forward by
> Olaf as a consensus candidate is more complicated than necessary.
> I see nothing in the current model that will cause difficulty in the
> processing and publication of the variously approved streams defined
> in RFC 4844. There is a tactical argument for separating out the
> Publisher
> function so that it could, in theory, be jointly contracted with other
> IT services such as I-D publication. But that doesn't justify the
> separation
> of the nominal "RFC Editor" warm body as a separate contractual
> entity.
> I'd roll that into the Production contract.

Question is how to pick the RFC Editor to sustain the RFC Series.
Shall the IAOC do it by RFP and see what XYZ, ABC and 123 Corp proffer
as the Editor, or should there be a community based process by which
one is selected?

I don't know who the companies will propose every 2 - 3 years, but I
have a high degree of confidence in a community based process to
select from a significant number of highly qualified individuals, and
do so time after time.

Ray
In community hat