[rfc-i] RFC Editor structure

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 10 05:46:10 PDT 2008

"Andrew G. Malis" <agmalis at gmail.com> writes:

> Actually, I DO remember how it used to be, first with Jon and then
> with Joyce. I think Jon was a unique individual, who had the ability
> to act as an largely autonomous expert, and Joyce, to a lesser extent,
> also had an excellent understanding of "what was right" for the RFC
> series. However, I really do think that those days are behind us, and
> the community really DOES want process in place where RFC content
> updates and publication decisions (no matter how minor) are completely
> transparent and open to public comment.

I think this is a large part of it. The world has changed
significantly. And there is plenty of evidence that nowadays when
someone doesn't like a decision that has been made, they complain
and/or file appeals. That has a way of changing the dynamics of what
people are willing to do "just because it is obviously right", since
"obvious" is in the eye of the beholder.

Thomas