[rfc-i] The RFC Editor and the Internet Standards Process

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Sep 10 03:21:10 PDT 2008

On Sep 9, 2008, at 9:56 PM, SM wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A proposal was posted at
> http://www.iab.org/documents/resources/RFC-Editor-Model.html about a
> new structure for the RFC Editor.  I read about the Internet
> Standards Process and couldn't find the answer to a question.
>
> Quoting Section 4.2.3 of RFC 2606:
>
>   "The RFC Editor is expected to exercise his or her judgment
> concerning the editorial
>    suitability of a document for publication with Experimental or
>    Informational status, and may refuse to publish a document which,
> in
>    the expert opinion of the RFC Editor, is unrelated to Internet
>    activity or falls below the technical and/or editorial standard for
>    RFCs."
>
> Furthermore,
>
>    ".. the IESG and the RFC Editor have agreed that the RFC Editor
>    will refer to the IESG any document submitted for Experimental or
>    Informational publication which, in the opinion of the RFC Editor,
>    may be related to work being done, or expected to be done, within
> the
>    IETF community."
>
> Given that the RFC Editor is explicitly mentioned in RFC 2026, does
> RFC 2606 have to be revised to bring it in line with the proposed
> structure?

I would argue that 2026 does not need to be revised.

The model discribes the collective of functions that taken together we
call "The RFC Editor". Various people have already commented that
using the same words for one of the functions is confusing.

More to the point 4.2.3 is about what we have started to call the
independent submissions and it is the Independent Submission Editor
function in the model that takes the responsibilities that are
described in the paragraph above.

Also see RFC4844 and RFC4846.

--Olaf