[rfc-i] RFC Editor Model Final Version?

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Sep 9 04:46:39 PDT 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Ray Pelletier wrote:

> inline
> On Sep 5, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

(...)
>> 3.1. RFC Editor
>>
>> Originally, there was a single person acting as editor of the RFC
>> Series (the RFC Editor).  The task has grown, and the work now
>> requires the organized activity of several experts, so there are RFC
>> Editors,
> s/editors/Editors
> or strike so there are RFC Editors

Although not clear in the mail, this is a quote from RFC4844.

>> or an RFC Editor organization.  In time, there may be
>> multiple organizations working together to undertake the work
>> required by the RFC Series.  For simplicity's sake, and without
>> attempting to predict how the role might be subdivided among them,
>> this document refers to this collection of experts and organizations
>> as the "RFC Editor".
>>
>> The IAOC has two alternative selection methods; it may consider in
>> an RFI and subsequent RFP.
>
> Strike ' it may consider in an RFI and subsequent RFP.' as the 2nd
> alternative of community selecion and IAB confirmation falls outside
> an RFP process
>>

>> The first alternative for the selection of the RFC Editor is
>> through a Request for Proposal (RFP) process run by the IAOC.  As
>> in the first alternative, the IAOC would seek a person with the
>> listed qualifications in a broadly distributed RFP.  The winner
>> would be selected by the IAOC in consultation with the IAB, and
>> then, the IAOC would contract for the services.  Contract terms,
>> including length of contract, extensions and renewals, shall be as
>> defined in an RFP.  The opportunity to bid shall be broadly
>> available.  Expenses to support the administrative operation of the
>> RFC Editor would be part of the awarded contract and be part of the
>> IASA budget.
>>
>> The second alternative is an individual with the listed
>> qualifications selected by the community and confirmed by the IAB.
>> An approach similar to the one used by the IAB to select an IAOC
>> member every other year as described in RFC 4333 could be used.
>> Expenses to support the administrative operation of the RFC Editor
>> selected in this manner would be part of the IASA budget.
>
> Does either of these alternatives contemplate a salary or stipend
> for the RFC Editor, which is likely to be a part time position?  Or
> is this ore akin to the volunteer positions like the IESG, IAB and
> IAOC for which there is no salary or stipend?

Ray, from the above it is not entirely clear to me what you are trying
to propose.

The intention of the text is that the model allows for two choices:
o Selection by the IAB and expenses payed
o Selection by the IAOC under contract (which includes a salary)

I assume that you propose to add a third variety of how the function
could be fulfilled into the model:
o Selection by the IAB with a stipend

Or is it that you would like to fix the model with only one selection
method for the IAOC to use? I would not favor that as it removes
flexibility for the implementation.

Could you explain your argument for adding the 3rd option?

--Olaf