[rfc-i] citing historic internet drafts

RFC Editor rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org
Fri Oct 31 12:36:52 PDT 2008

Hi Julian,

We suggest that you include your annotations in the acknowledgments
section (instead of their presence in the references section, without
specifying draft strings).  This is much more in line with
previously published RFCs that want to acknowlege previous works.

For example (from RFC 4719)

9.  Acknowledgements

   This RFC evolved from the document, "Ethernet Pseudo Wire Emulation
   Edge-to-Edge".  We would like to thank its authors, T.So, X.Xiao,
   L. Anderson, C. Flores, N. Tingle, S. Khandekar, D. Zelig and
   G. Heron for their contribution.  We would also like to thank
   S. Nanji, the author of "Ethernet Service for Layer Two Tunneling
   Protocol", for writing the first Ethernet over L2TP document.

We are happy to document a new policy regarding expired
internet-drafts if one arises from this discussion.  But, unless the
IAB declares consensus that some other process has been adopted, we
will continue to follow current procedures.  Again, this decision is
not one that the RFC Editor can make unilaterally, as it a policy
change that impacts all future RFCs.  Please note that we are not
"against" making a change to the policy, but we want to make sure it
is a change that we can live with for years to come.

A few comments regarding including URLs to specific documents hosted
at www.webdav.org...

- We typically cut links to specific I-Ds from any document; this is
common practice for the RFC Editor.  This is why it was originally
deleted from the references section.  We can leave the more
general link to www.webdav.org if that is your preference.

- Possibly, if URLs of Internet-Drafts were included in RFCs, then
there should be consensus on what is the "official" archive of I-Ds.
We imagine it could be tools.ietf.org.  However, while it appears that
the Tools team permanently archives all I-Ds, (as far as I can
remember) there has never been a formal decision/announcement that
I-Ds were going to be permanently archived.

Please send us your comments/questions.

Thanks!

Sandy