[rfc-i] [xml2rfc] Fwd: Front-page authors versus authors...

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Oct 30 09:47:04 PDT 2008

At 6:56 AM -0800 10/30/08, Bob Braden wrote:
>This discussion is based upon a fallacy, I am afraid.  What you are calling th
>"authors section" (there is no such thing) is really the "authors' addresses"
>section.  This has been discussed extensively in the past, and I believe it is
>well documented in 2223bis and on the RFC Editor web page under policies.

Please note that 2223bis expired over four years ago.

>The RFC Editor believes that Jon, despite his general wisdom, misnamed
>this section; it should be "Contact Information", as that is its purpose.  The
>only list of authors is on the top right of the front page.

Then you should rename the section instead of leaving it mislabeled.

The policies page has said "It is the RFC Editor's intent to change the title of this section in the future to "Contact Information", after the community has had time to digest and accept the change" for a very long time. What has the RFC Editor done to bring this question to the community? Or were you waiting for us to find this on the policies page and start the discussion ourselves?

Further, please note that the RFC Editor is not being consistent on their own policies. For example, RFC 5339 doesn't have "Contributors" section, it has a "Contributors' Addresses" section followed by an "Editors' Addresses" section. RFC 5307 has a "Contributors" section that includes addresses. If the RFC Editor was a bit more careful and consistent, it would make it easier for the rest of us to know what to do.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium