[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-00

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:30:32 PDT 2008

John,

On 2008-10-23 07:07, John Klensin wrote:
> We have discussed the outlines of an alternative that involved
> strengthening the Editorial Board, treating it as a
> semi-autonomous subsidiary of the IAB (somewhat like the way the
> IRTF is treated), and giving it the key role in selecting the
> Independent Submission Editor/ Reviewer/ Approver subject to
> some advice and consent process involving the IAB and/or IAOC.
> The IAB may not like that suggestion, and it certainly has
> drawbacks.  But, since I think we agree that the current
> proposed plan has drawbacks too, let's not pretend that it must
> be chosen and accepted because there are no plausible
> alternatives to it.

Actually, if we really care about the independence of the
Independent stream, and about its similarity to an academic
peer review process, I rather like that idea. There would
have to be care to avoid the model looking like a self-
perpetuating oligarchy, of course. It may be something we
should come back to in a year or two, but leave the door open
to in the current document.

    Brian