[rfc-i] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-03.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Oct 20 08:01:01 PDT 2008

Joe Touch wrote:
>> Nope.
>>
>> A text/plain document encoded in ASCII by *definition* is already
>> encoded in UTF-8, so the document itself does not change at all.
>
> The draft allows UTF-8 in places that are not absolutely requires, which
> affects new RFCs and IDs that are not intended to address protocol
> internationalization issues.
>
> I.e., this affects all *new* RFCs and IDs. Agreed it doesn't affect old
> ones.

It only affects those documents where non-ASCII characters are used.

So please do not claim it affects all new, when it only *potentially*
affects them all.

I do understand that you prefer to restrict the use cases, and not allow
non-ASCII for contact information, for instance. That's of course a
valid discussion to have, although I personally think the use cases in
the draft are totally desirable.

BR, Julian