[rfc-i] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-03.txt

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Oct 19 10:45:31 PDT 2008

I would find it useful to differentiate the problems found, as, for
example, "printing problems" can mean

- the printer refuses to print at all or produces garbage for the
whole document (bad news)

- some of the non-ASCII characters will not render (given that they
wouldn't be there at all in an all-ASCII version, blaming UTF8 for
that seems a bit unfair, since the recipient isn't any worse off than
before, as long as we're talking about using UTF-8 for author names
and additional examples)

- page cuts are not made, so that the headings and footers appear at
random points on the printed page (for printing a book to be bound and
put on a bookshelf, that's a major problem; for marking up a draft for
review, many may consider this to be a minor nuisance, given that this
is what happens today in many tool chains)

Henning