Henrik Levkowetz henrik at levkowetz.com
Wed Oct 8 13:13:23 PDT 2008

On 2008-10-08 17:59 Tony Hansen said the following:
> Joe Touch wrote:
>>
>> Sorry - I thought the generation was dynamic for the following:
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?rfc=793
>>
>> Is that not the case?
>
> Once it generates the marked-up version, it caches it for subsequent
> requests for the same document. The cache is rarely cleaned up. :-)

More exactly, cached documents currently times out after 91 days.  The main
consideration in setting the cache time is to make it long enough that
the googlebots don't think they have to scan the entire set of 50,000+
documents very often, in order to catch "changes" to the documents.

(But this is really getting far off topic ,;-)

	Henrik