[rfc-i] Data point [Re: Fwd: I-DACTION:draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-03.txt]

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Oct 7 23:27:40 PDT 2008

At 02:32 08/10/08, Dave CROCKER wrote:

>I intended "robust" as and end-to-end construct, meaning that documents are
>usable to the humans trying to read them, to the same extent they currently are
>usable (and have been since... forever.)
>
>Anything that disrupts that utility for the human reader constitutes fragility.

Seems to make sense. As the main author of the IRI spec (RFC 3987),
it is my experience that the current ASCII-only restriction created
fragility, and that removing that restriction for examples,... would
significantly enhance end-to-end robustness for those who actually
need it (implementers,...). My guess is that this applies to other
specs with similar needs, and it's these specs that we are mainly
talking about.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp