Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Tue Oct 7 21:52:51 PDT 2008

Joe Touch wrote:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Joe Touch wrote:
>>> Right - the one tool I had that understood ASCII, CRs, and FFs was
>>> Wordpad. It worked for reading RFCs on the screen and for printing them
>>> (to printers I've used, e.g., inkjets, lasers, save as PDF, PS, etc.)
>>>
>>> That tool will display UTF-8 correctly on the screen, but will not print
>>> the special characters properly.
>>>
>>> So I can have EITHER UTF-8 special characters or FFs, but not both.
>>> That's not a path forward, IMO.
>> Again; use a web browser and navigate to the HTML version on
>> tools.ietf.org. It will print properly.
>
> Please explain. HTML doesn't preserve page boundaries on printout.

Through the magic of CSS and @media sections:

        @media print {
	    .break { page-break-before: always; }
        }

tools.ietf.org/html converts the FFs to

and the printout forces a page break before the space is printed.

> How do I take draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-03.txt and print it out preserving
> page boundaries AND UTF-8 characters in Vista?

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?url=http://www.vpnc.org/temp/draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-03.utf8

Of course, rfcmarkup itself may have issues with UTF-8. :-)

	Tony Hansen
	tony at att.com