Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Oct 7 11:54:24 PDT 2008

Joe Touch wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> You're the expect on Word (here). Are you saying that you can use it to
>> generate ASCII, but not UTF-8?
>
> Correct. The issue is the print driver.

I figured that out myself in the meantime as well.

> I have a path for ASCII that I use regularly. Printing is native
> (Wordpad). Viewing is native (Wordpad). Editing is a 3-step process
> (edit in Word, print via generic/text-only, filter output to generate
> FFs), and editing is WYSIWYG. Page boundaries in Word are output as a
> token that a script converts to FFs; FFs are interpreted correctly by
> Wordpad.
>
> I have no similar path for UTF-8, at least not yet - the tools I use
> today that preserve page boundaries (only Wordpad) fails on UTF-8  - it
> renders them fine on the screen, but when I print them, they are
> corrupted (they print as if the content is ASCII).

So, the inability of your preferred tool chain to produce UTF-8 is a
reason not to *allow* it?

Keep in mind that nobody is *requiring* use of UTF-8 (that would be
silly anyway because any given ASCII text/plain document *is* a UTF-8
text/plain document by definition).

I think it's totally acceptable to allow an extension that helps with
I18N, even if one of the tools in use to produce RFCs doesn't support it.

BR, Julian