Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Oct 7 11:50:26 PDT 2008

Joe Touch wrote:
>> Well. If in 40 years from now, we can't read HTML 4.01 anymore, we are
>> really in serious trouble.
>
> Why 4.01? Why not 3? or 2? or 1? or 0.99? What's special about 4.01, and
> if HTML is such a moving target, what makes you think it will support
> the version used this week?

Because it has been stable for something like 10 years now?

The fact that development of HTML continues does not mean that old
versions aren't supported anymore. We just need to make sure that we use
a subset that we can rely on.

> Sure. Seems like there's work to be done before we proceed in finding a
> format and demonstrating that it can handle, for a variety of current
> and some reasonbly-old OS's:
>
> 	- UTF-8
> 	- page breaks
> 	- line breaks

Two of these are requirements that have nothing to to with what we
discuss. If you can't make those work with ASCII, you won't be able to
do it with UTF-8 either.

BR, Julian