Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Oct 7 10:51:59 PDT 2008

At 8:37 AM -0700 10/7/08, Joe Touch wrote:
>OK; that means that Wordpad doesn't generate UTF-8. That was the one
>editor that appeared to support at least some of the cut/paste tests.

>From Brian's test, it supported it fine.

>If that doesn't work, then we don't have a viable UTF-8 editor
>identified for Windows.

There are literally dozens of editors, many of which are free, that handle UTF-8 just fine. So far, Wordpad is the only Windows editor I have found that doesn't let you generate UTF-8 (even though it lets you copy and paste UTF-8 without changing bits on the wire, according to Brian's test).

> > Between the two CR/LF pairs I see something with code point 18; so your
> > method of entry apparently didn't produce the desired result.
>
>Hmm. I did what the web pages for UTF-8 said:
>
>http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/000c/index.htm
>(see "how to type in Windows")
>
>It appears that this is incorrect, but further points to the immaturity
>of this format.

<sarcasm eyes=rolling>Bummer that the IETF made it a full standard years ago, That will teach us.</sarcasm>

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium