Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Oct 7 09:01:15 PDT 2008

Joe Touch wrote:
>>> OK; that means that Wordpad doesn't generate UTF-8. That was the one
>>> editor that appeared to support at least some of the cut/paste tests.
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, then we don't have a viable UTF-8 editor
>>> identified for Windows.
>> What's wrong with Notepad? (except for LF only?)
>
> Except for...? Well, that's the problem, isn't it?

Well, strip the CRs before submitting.

Besides, I'd be really surprised if anybody would edit RFCs or Internet
Drafts in Notepad anyway.

I though the question we were dealing with is *reading* RFCs/I-Ds that
contain non-ASCII characters encoded in UTF-8?

>>> Hmm. I did what the web pages for UTF-8 said:
>>>
>>> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/000c/index.htm
>>> (see "how to type in Windows")
>>>
>>> It appears that this is incorrect, but further points to the immaturity
>>> of this format.
>> The inability to type a form feed character in some Windows application
>> shows that UTF-8 is immature??? The same would apply to ASCII, unless
>> I'm missing something.
>
> I'm referring to a web page that has detailed instructions that are
> incorrect. Sure, that's common on the Internet (the "zero-sum of all
> knowledge"), but this is a fairly comprehensive site on this issue
> otherwise...

At this point I'm really not sure what your point is.

- LF as a line separator is a problem in Windows? Agreed.

- It's hard to enter formfeed characters in Windows editors? Agreed.

But this applies to both ASCII and UTF-8.

(These problems go away as soon as the author chooses one of the tools
we have for the job)

BR, Julian