Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Oct 7 07:55:09 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> So UTF-8 is modern, and FF is outdated. So how do we maintain page
> boundaries in our output other than using PDF/PS?
>
> I.e., we have some requirements, but it seems like page boundary
> maintenance is getting tossed out the window...

For those of us who prefer to consume information via a browser (a
large and increasing proportion of the world's population), the
existing page-oriented structure of RFCs worsens the experience.
Should we want a hardcopy printout, if we're in HTML, the computer
(Mac, PC, or *n*x) takes care of pagination for us in a fashion that
works well given the combination of typefaces, printer hardware, and
so on, producing output that uses traditional typesetting values to
maximize readability.

So, an HTML version without page breaks provides high utility for us
browser-oriented people, while the traditional fixed-format ASCII is
irritating to read and difficult to print.

The traditional fixed-format ASCII provides high utility for... um,
who was that again?

Anyhow, at the moment all we're arguing about is including non-ASCII
characters in a few highly constrained places without abandoning the
traditional format.

 -Tim