[rfc-i] Data point [Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-03.txt]

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue Oct 7 07:52:31 PDT 2008

I don't really want to get into a Mac vs. Windows war here (or anywhere,
really).

I guess the point is that sometime in the distant past, the ASCII format
chosen for RFCs was a good compromise - it was something that could
reasonably be printed on a wide variety of different systems despite
differences in their native representation of text files.   (Especially
if you used the right FTP options to transfer the files.)

These days, plain text files have largely fallen into disuse among
ordinary users, with the possible exception of those using UNIX/Linux
systems.  So the tools that people are accustomed to using to read or
manipulate documents may not support them very well (or at all), and OS
vendors no longer regard the ability to print ordinary text files as an
essential system capability.  There are of course still tools available
on all of these systems that will deal with text files, but if users
don't know what those tools are, they'll have a hard time reading our
documents.

Which is why I have to wonder whether "plain UTF-8 text" is a useful
direction to be taking RFCs.

Keith