Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Oct 7 06:56:59 PDT 2008

Martin Duerst wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> I'm confused. I don't think Paul's example document uses anything
> other than ASCII FFs. There is no character in Unicode (other than
> "ASCII FF") with a sematics or usage that gets close to FF.
> (The reason for this is that with today's hardware, software, and
> document architectures, FF is in many ways really quite outdated.)
>
> So are you saying that we have software that understands FF,
> and software that understands (non-ASCII) UTF-8, but that the
> intersection of these two is empty?

Sorry - yes, that's where I was going. FF isn't UTF-8. If I can dump
UTF-8 to a printer, I definitely can't put an FF in whatever that dump is.

So UTF-8 is modern, and FF is outdated. So how do we maintain page
boundaries in our output other than using PDF/PS?

I.e., we have some requirements, but it seems like page boundary
maintenance is getting tossed out the window...

Joe