Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue Oct 7 06:10:58 PDT 2008

Martin Duerst wrote:
> I'm confused. I don't think Paul's example document uses anything
> other than ASCII FFs. There is no character in Unicode (other than
> "ASCII FF") with a sematics or usage that gets close to FF.
> (The reason for this is that with today's hardware, software, and
> document architectures, FF is in many ways really quite outdated.)

That's really an odd way of stating it.  I'd say instead that "today's
hardware, software, and document architectures" have to a large degree
substituted complexity for simplicity and cross-platform portability.

It's not as if we've lost the need for some sort of signal in a document
to end the current page and start the next one.

Keith