[rfc-i] RFC Editor Model way forward.

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Oct 2 09:34:42 PDT 2008

Dear Colleagues,

During yesterdays IAB meeting we have talked for some time about the
RFC Editor model and decided the following:

1. We decide that the model as currently described [see below] will
serve as the basis for the implementation by the IAOC.

2. While the IAOC and the IAB have their specific role. We need to
create expertise within the IAB and IAOC and if possible draw
expertise from the Editorial board too. One sub committee to keep
oversight over the selection and make recommendations to IAB and IAOC.

3. We request the IAOC to come up, possibly through an RFI, with a
preferred method for selecting the Inedep Subm. Editor and the RFC
Editor. And, if either function is supported by a stipend, what the
hight of that stipend is.

4. We will publish the model as an RFC later. Version 00 is what we
will start coding against, but we may tweak the model while the
implementation is being done.

The basis for that decision was based on the text on the IAB website (http://www.iab.org/documents/resources/RFC-Editor-Model.html
) as posted on September 5, modified to reflect what I took out of the
discussion on this list.

  That text has been transformed to an I-D which I just posted to the
I-D repository:
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-rfc-editor-
model-00.txt

The substantive differences between the web-site text and the I-D are
that the language about the RFC Editorial board has been loosened so
that its existence is recognized and imposes as little as possible on
how it interacts with the RFC Editor function and the Indep. Subm.
Editor. Besides the text now explicitly allows for a stipend (and/or
expenses) for the RFC Editor function and the Independent submission
Editor.

The image referred to in that document has not been pushed to the
website yet, so I attached it.

Thanks for your feedback.

--Olaf Kolkman