[rfc-i] [IAB] Intended Publication: RFC Editor Model (draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-02.txt)

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Nov 19 09:14:28 PST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Bob Braden wrote:

>> Reading this I realize that we could make one of the responsibilities
>> of the Independent Submissions Editor more explicit: "Maintain
>> technical quality of the Independent stream". So yes, the technical
>> work of that job is the core.
>

> Yes, but note that one of the expressed
> purposes of the indsub stream is to publish ideas that may be outside
> the current mainstream as defined by the IETF.  So opinions may,
> and sometimes do, vary, about technical quality -- one person's
> interesting new viewpoint may be another's Terrible Idea.  The indsub
> Editor has to balance and make judgements.

I am in full agreement. The ISE assumes the responsibility to make
those judgements in good faith and with technical competence.

Lets see if we can word that responsibility a bit more careful. How
about:

     <t>Defining and maintaining the technical quality standards for
the Independent Stream</t>