[rfc-i] [IAB] Intended Publication: RFC Editor Model (draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-02.txt)

Jim Schaad ietf at augustcellars.com
Sun Nov 16 14:41:24 PST 2008

Olaf,

One more set of things that occurred to me

> == Funding of the Independent Submission editor.
>
> Jim wrote:
> > 4.  The statement on funding for the Independent Submissions Editor
> > worries me.  I believe that this job is currently funded as part of
> > the contract with ISI.  (Bob, please correct me if I am wrong.)  This
> > document is making the statement at that it will no longer be funded
> > through IASA and, implicitly, says that we don't believe that the job
> > is of sufficient
> > importance for the IAB to make sure that the job is funded at all.
> > If we
> > believe that this job is basically a sinecure, then this is not a
> > problem.
> > If we believe that this job actually would require a substantial
> > amount of work, then this is an issue.  I would not be surprised to
> > find out that we are paying for this work either via the use of the
> > production house for dealing with documents that are not actually
> > ready for production, the RFC Series editor's or the IESG's time for
> > dealing with documents that should not be published or the
> communities
> > time for dealing with documents that should never have been
> published.
>
> That the IASA is not funding the effort does not mean that it is not of
> sufficient importance for the IAB to make sure the job is funded at
> all. It is not the case that the IAB has deep pockets, but we can
> certainly work towards assisting in finding funds for e.g. a stipend.
>
> The problem is that when the IETF is paying the function its
> independence from the IETF is obviously at stake.

How much are you willing to live with true independence for the ISE
(independent submissions Editor)?

Is there an appeal process from ISE decisions?

If the ISE decides not to accept a document, can this be appealed?  Or do
you then have to find an AD shepherd?

Does this mean that the IESG is losing some of its current power to say "Do
Not Publish"  or to include "harmful to the internet" language in a
document?

How much of an appearance of independence exists if the ISE serves at the
pleasure of the IAB?

Jim