[rfc-i] [IAB] Intended Publication: RFC Editor Model (draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-02.txt)

Jim Schaad ietf at augustcellars.com
Sun Nov 16 14:18:36 PST 2008

Olaf,

While I am happy to hear that this is not an endpoint, statements in the
document like "The IAB approved the RFC Editor model on October 1, 2008" do
not lead a casual reader to assume that this document is still a work in
progress, but rather is a final document.

Other comments below

Personally I found the response from Ray as less than useful.  Like John, I
was not sure what he was proposing.

IMO, the document should be modified so that the RFC Series Editor has the
explicit duty/opportunity to approve every document prior to publication.
It would be up to the RFC Series Editor to decide if this was a full review
or a pro-forma review.  I would not understand how to implement the
suggestion - well maybe review some of them sometimes from the view of
either the production house or the series editor.

As you have so often pointed out, the model and the instantiation are
suppose to be separate.  We are suppose to be creating a workable model at
this point and ignoring what the actual instantiation will be.

> [...]
> > provide strong technical review in an onging fashion as documents
> work
> > through the process, since there is no other part of the system to
> > provide such.
> >

> Reading this I realize that we could make one of the responsibilities
> of the Independent Submissions Editor more explicit: "Maintain
> technical quality of the Independent stream". So yes, the technical
> work of that job is the core.
>
> I think it is unfair to assume that most of the burden for the review
> after the edits (AUTH48) is with the Indep. Sub. Ed. It is with the
> authors (with a little oversight by the Editor). Just like in the other
> streams.
>

> Jim:
> > 2. For the independent submission editor,  I note that both editorial
> > skills and competency in English are not requisite qualifications.
> Is
> > this intentional?
> > 3.  I would like the document to clarify the following question.  Is
> > it the job of a series editor to ensure that a document that is
> passed
> > to the production house meet some minimal criteria for readability?
> >

> > As a member of the current RFC Editorial board, I have review a
> number
> > of submissions where the clarity of the document was lacking.  I
> would
> > be loath to say that the Independent Submissions Editor should have
> > passed these documents on to the production house to clean up the
> > language problems and then take them back to determine if they should
> > really be published.  As I understand things the submissions
> > gatekeepers should only send on documents that are really clear.
> This
> > however is not stated as a requirement or responsibility for the
> > independent submissions editor.
> >

> IMHO the responsibility for presenting a readable document lays with
> the stream approver. This does not mean that the output needs to be of
> the quality of a native English novelists but some base quality may be
> expected. One could argue that processing an I-D to be readable  is
> part of the "Independent Submissions approval and processing". That is
> not to say that the Indep. Stream Approver should do that editing
> herself. I think it would be perfectly valid to ask an author to
> improve the readability. Currently, within the IETF stream we have had
> editors improving the readability before Alice, Sandy and Bob got to do
> the final edits.
>
> Obviously there is an opportunity for conflict and tussle. If the
> document is 'unreadable' and the Production function needs to start
> interpreting intended meaning than technical modifications may sneak in
> and those will need to be sorted out in AUTH 48.
>
> While the above issues are not mentioned in the model (should they?)
> they should definitely go into the statements of work.

I completely agree that it is the responsibility of the stream approver to
make sure that the documents meet some minimum standard.

I read with interest the fact that there are apparently editors that work on
readability before Alice, Sandy and Bob get these documents.  Are these
editors provided by the Independent stream approver? No - I think that what
you mean are editors that reside in the production house in the proposed
model.  Are you suggesting that these are the editors that the independent
stream approver should be using in getting documents up to a minimum
technical standard?  I don't think so.

While I agree that it is not the stream approver's job to do the edits, it
is their responsibility to be able to read and understand the documents and
make suggestions about how to improve the readability to the authors.  I
have never gotten a good response from anybody by saying "Re-write your
document, it is not understandable" without giving examples of how and
where.  It would be very difficult to this without the ability to both
fluently read in English (the language of all current RFCs) and the ability
to identify what is both good and poor English.  This ability is currently
provided by one or more members of each of the different groups that do
document approval.  I know that in the past I have received comments from
the IESG that required that I clean up language in some places.

> == Funding of the Independent Submission editor.
>
> Jim wrote:
> > 4.  The statement on funding for the Independent Submissions Editor
> > worries me.  I believe that this job is currently funded as part of
> > the contract with ISI.  (Bob, please correct me if I am wrong.)  This
> > document is making the statement at that it will no longer be funded
> > through IASA and, implicitly, says that we don't believe that the job
> > is of sufficient
> > importance for the IAB to make sure that the job is funded at all.
> > If we
> > believe that this job is basically a sinecure, then this is not a
> > problem.
> > If we believe that this job actually would require a substantial
> > amount of work, then this is an issue.  I would not be surprised to
> > find out that we are paying for this work either via the use of the
> > production house for dealing with documents that are not actually
> > ready for production, the RFC Series editor's or the IESG's time for
> > dealing with documents that should not be published or the
> communities
> > time for dealing with documents that should never have been
> published.
>
> That the IASA is not funding the effort does not mean that it is not of
> sufficient importance for the IAB to make sure the job is funded at
> all. It is not the case that the IAB has deep pockets, but we can
> certainly work towards assisting in finding funds for e.g. a stipend.
>
> The problem is that when the IETF is paying the function its
> independence from the IETF is obviously at stake.

Great - Put this in the document as an argument as to why we are no longer
going to fund this position.  I think that a simple statement that we
believe it SHOULD be funded by some party would also be reasonable.