[rfc-i] Intended Publication: RFC Editor Model (draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-02.txt)

John C Klensin john+rfc at jck.com
Sun Nov 16 03:15:09 PST 2008

--On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:52:27 -0500 Ray Pelletier
<rpelletier at isoc.org> wrote

> It make sense to me that the Editor may want to review
> 'ready-to-  publish' documents before going to the Publisher
> from time to time   (and maybe a lot in the beginning) to
> achieve the consistency desired   and therefore should be able
> to request documents be sent to him/her.

Ray,

I don't know how to interpret your answer.    If the editor
requests documents that way and decides they are not ready, do
they get bounced back to the stream processes?  If so, the
document definitely does not show that possibility.   Or would
the editor intercept the documents after the production house
thinks it is finished and review them?   If so, does the editor
have the ability to reject the document at that stage, sending
it back to the production house for further work and/or to
wherever it came from?  Again, not in the document.

There is also a metaquestion here, which is whether this whole
process is going to be operated at the personal discretion of
the IAD and/or on the basis of oral tradition?  If so, do we
need to rewrite the IAD's job description to contain a superset
of the skill set for the RFC Editor/Coordinator, the Independent
Submission Editor, the IAB, the IESG, etc.?

      john