[rfc-i] Byte order marks

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Wed Nov 5 10:25:38 PST 2008

Some more random thoughts:

While it would best if we could just say ".txt means utf8", I'm becoming
convinced that we won't get there. If we went the path of a .utf8 file,
the .txt file *could* be considered secondary to the .txt and even
auto-generated from the .utf8. Consider this scenario:

  *	I-D upload accepts .utf8 files as a primary source
  *	the .txt version is auto-generated,
	o replacing each utf8 sequence with U+####
	o add a note somewhere (say, as the very first line) indicating
	  that the authoritative version is the UTF8 version

This could be a potential way forward.

	Tony Hansen
	tony at att.com