[rfc-i] On using HTTP for RFC retrieval
paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Nov 4 10:28:00 PST 2008
At 10:09 AM -0800 11/4/08, Bob Braden wrote:
>Actually, we have been pursuing a long-term effort to make http the default in call cases
- Go to http://www.rfc-editor.org/
- Select "Search for an RFC and its meta-data", which is <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html>
- Enter "4321" in the entry box.
- There is one result, with a link of <http://www.rfc-editor.org/cgi-bin/rfcdoctype.pl?loc=RFC&letsgo=4321&type=ftp&file_format=txt>
- Select that link, So far, everything is HTTP.
- The CGI script now redirects to <ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4321.txt>
It would maybe not be hard to change the CGI to retrieve the actual document over HTTP.
>although we intend to continue to support ftp.
That is a good plan.
--Paul Hoffman, Director
More information about the rfc-interest