[rfc-i] Byte order marks

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Nov 4 07:09:30 PST 2008

At 11:27 PM -0800 11/3/08, Joe Touch wrote:
>I thought there was consensus to NOT include the BOM in these files (at
>least there were three of us who spoke up on the issue).

There was a confused thread about whether our document intended to put a UTF-8 BOM on *all* documents. The previous version was silent on the BOM; this one explicitly says:

   In order to assist text display software, any Internet Draft or RFC
   that contains non-ASCII characters should start with the byte order
   mark (BOM) U+FEFF.  The UTF-8 byte order mark should not be included
   in any Internet Draft or RFC that does not contain non-ASCII
   characters.

The file I attached had non-ASCII characters, so I added the byte order mark.

What problem do you see with having a BOM on a document that has non-ASCII characters?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium