[rfc-i] RFC 5000 on Internet Official Protocol Standards

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue May 20 10:17:57 PDT 2008

At 9:45 AM -0700 5/20/08, Bob Braden wrote:
>Olaf,
>
>You wrote:
>
>   *>
>   *> That the RFC Editor wants to go on record as not agreeing with this
>   *> argument is fine, but calling it an error goes too far.
>   *>
>   *> [...]
>

>If you trace this thread back, you will find that the word "error"
>was introduced by Paul Hoffman.  I apologize for quoting his
>word without putting quotation marks around it, as I should have
>since it was his word.

Correct. I said "This seems like a glaring error." The "seems like"
part was due to the decision about the document being made without an
Internet Draft or any consultation with the public (or even this
mailing list). I now see that it was a conscious decision by the IAB,
and am fine with that, even if I somewhat disagree with their
conclusion.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium