[rfc-i] RFC Editor Structure

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Jun 23 08:07:31 PDT 2008

At 8:53 AM +1200 6/23/08, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Paul,
>
>On 2008-06-23 02:49, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>  - Of the two proposals for selecting the RFC Editor role (RFP from
>>  the IAOC, selected by the community), having the RFC Editor being
>>  chosen by an RFP from the IAOC is probably best. It seems likely that
>>  bidders would want to bid on the RFC Editor and Production House
>>  tasks at the same time, and it would make sense to let the IAOC bid
>>  the two of them simultaneously.
>
>What do you see as the advantage in separating these two functions
>into two bids? Wouldn't it be very clumsy for them to be executed
>separately?

Actually, we don't see any advantage in separating them; my apologies
if I made it sound like we did. We assumed that if the IAB wanted the
two roles separated, they had a good reason to do so. We don't think
it would necessarily be "clumsy" to have two different people in the
roles, but it would add overhead that isn't necessary. If both roles
are done by the same person, that's fine too.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium