[rfc-i] RFC Editor Structure

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Jun 4 13:33:44 PDT 2008

Dear hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz,

You wrote:
  *>
  *> Thanks for info.  Some quick observations while looking at the
  *> picture of your model:  You don't cover the rather convoluted
  *> interactions between IESG and "ISS", to fix that please sort

See RFC 3932.

  *> the "stream" columns like that:  IAB | IETF | community | IRTF.

I am not aware of any implied ordering, and I don't know
what it would mean.

  *>
  *> RFC number assignment should be the privilege of the RFC editor,
  *> not of some "outsourced" RFC production entity.  This used to be
  *> great magic in the past, and it is a completely subjective magic.

It is not a "privilege", but a duty.  And not exactly magic, but the
community likes it that RFC 2822 was an update to RFC 822, for example.
Not an accident, though Joyce used to like to pretend it was.

The RFC Editor organization believes that RFC number assignment is
inextricably bound with the production process, so it would make
little sense to separate these functions.   This assumes that
the RFC publication model continues to use late binding for RFC
numbers, as it always has.  Another choice (which I believe has
some serious flaws) would be to change to early RFC number binding --
say, RFC numbers are assigned by the IESG before the document
enters the publication process.  The IESG could go as far as it
wanted towards structuring the number space (and how long would
it be before a Dewey decimal numbering scheme appeared?).

Bob Braden