[rfc-i] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-rfc-editor-errata-process-02.txt

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Sun Jul 27 02:36:53 PDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Danny McPherson wrote:

> [top post only]
>
> Folks,
> I'd like to see this document published as an Independent
> submission but believe there are several outstanding issues
> I'd like to close the loop on.
>
> I believe Appendix A, in particular input regarding how errata
> should be posted, should remain in the draft.  Three proposals
> are given in the document, some discussion and preference among
> those solutions by folks interested would be most appreciated.
>
> I do believe the document can be published as is with this text,
> with a note indicating that the actual path forward is beyond the
> scope of the draft (Sandy agrees).
>
> There is also the potential for it to become part of the
> "Headers & Boilerplates" draft discussion as well, although
> it might well fall outside the scope of that document, as it
> doesn't touch on this topic all at the moment:
>
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-streams-headers-boilerplates-00>

Personally I think that the Headers and Boilerplates should define a
bit of text that can go to the end of the document (near the
copyright) that links to a generic URL, possibly that is also where we
can put the ISSN.

I do not think that the H&B document should contain details about the
submission process but might include a link to where to add the errata.

Something like:
"Possible Errata for this RFC are accessible via http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search?rfc
<xxx>. Via this URL you will also be able to assess if this document
has been updated, obsoleted or clarified by other RFCs.

If you want to report an errata for this RFC please use http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_report?rfc
<xxxx>.
"

Since we seem to be creating a paragraph with links to pages with more
information about the RFC we could (and this is a wild thought) link
to the IPR disclosure database.

--Olaf