[rfc-i] references vs front matter

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Jan 29 03:11:51 PST 2008

I don't see a need for that. Informative References are for cases
where there is indeed relevant information in the old RFC. If that
RFC is obsoleted by the new one, the usual case is that the old
RFC doesn't contain any relevant information anymore, the information
is either taken over into the new RFC, or is, as it says, obsolete.

There may be exceptions to this, e.g. if the old RFC contains some
design discussions that haven't been taken over into the new RFC,
but are still of interest, or if the Acks section in the old RFC
is still relevant, and so on.

Regards,   Martin.