[rfc-i] rfc errata HTML format

Alice Hagens hagens at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 15 18:18:53 PST 2008

Julian & Frank,

Thank you for the feedback on the errata system. We have received
similar requests from IESG members. We are analyzing the idea and
considering how it might integrate into the errata process.

Since there are existing unique identifiers (internal) for each
errata report, the most straight-forward way to this type of
functionality would be to make them available. For example, the URL
would of the form http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?
rfc=4918&eid=1234.

In part, the design was intended to encourage a user to look at all
of the errata reported for a given RFC, not one in particular. This
is especially relevant to having a Verifier aware of all errata (for
a particular RFC) that are awaiting verification. That said, we
understand that a unique identifier for a report would make things
easier during discussions of an errata report.

Frank's PURL suggestion can be considered more fully once we have
some experience with how this change integrates into our site.

RFC Editor/ah