[rfc-i] Fwd: Comment on headers-and-boilerplates

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Mon Dec 8 12:03:27 PST 2008

> Does this distinguish individual submissions with no IETF relationship
> from those submitted independently that are handled within the IETF?
> E.g., there are areas that lack WGs (e.g., INT, vs. RTG and TSV, both of
> which have 'default' WGs). Documents can come out of that area's
> meetings, having been discussed, which cannot be tagged
> draft-ietf-wgname, but which aren't quite 'individual' in the sense above.
> How are those to be labelled?
Yes, these two categories are handled in different ways. The documents
submitted via the RFC Editor without any IETF relationship are called
independent submissions. IETF documents without a supporting WG are
called individual submissions. ADs regularly sponsor the latter to RFCs,
for more information see [1]. This includes IETF Last Call review and
may include specific review on some specific list. For instance, INTAREA
is not a WG but we often talk about documents that Mark and I sponsor on
that meeting & list.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/ad-sponsoring.html