[rfc-i] Some questions about the RFC Editor restructuring plan

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 8 11:37:02 PDT 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Bob Braden wrote:

> Henning, Several more questions arise from your explanation.
>
>  *>
>  *> - The steering committee selects an editor-in-chief, for a
> finite, non-
>  *> renewable term. That position is a volunteer position. The EiC
> sets
>
> Who selects the steering committee?

This differs between journals, from what I can tell. In many cases,
it's like university trustees, i.e., the body is self-sustaining and
nominates replacement for members that leave or reach their term
limits. In other cases, the society's publication director or
equivalent nominates members. (For example, the ACM SIGCOMM executive
committee is effectively the steering committee for CCR.) There may
even be cases where the set of associate editors elects the EiC (and
where there is no steering committee at all), although I can't think
of a particular journal in that category right now.

In the case of the Transactions on Networking, it's a multi-society
journal (ACM, IEEE ComSoc, IEEE Computer Society), and each get to
designate a set of members to the steering committee, in addition to
some ex-officio members, such as the EiC.

>  *> general policy (usually in discussions with the steering
> committee),
>  *> gets involved in editorial disputes, nominates new associate
> editors
>  *> and observes the work flow. In particular, the EiC is generally
> held
>  *> responsible if the time-to-publish starts increasing. The
> position is
>
> What means does the EiC have at his/her disposal to reduce the time-
> to-
> publish?  Hire more editorial people and/or authorize overtime?  (and
> who controls the personnel budget?) Fire an ineffective associate
> editor?  Other?

Some are direct managerial, such as the hiring and firing of associate
editors you mention, or the establishment of procedures, such as
having his or her assistant do better tracking and nagging. (Associate
editors aren't paid, so there are no financial resource issues.)

Usually, review, rather than production, delays are the main cause of
publication delays for journals. However, the ACM ToN steering
committee, on behalf of its EiC, recently had to plead for higher page
budgets with the societies sponsoring the journal to reduce a
publication backlog caused by having more papers accepted than the
annual page budget allowed. Thus, there was no direct authority to
spend more money, but rather an expectation that the EiC would ask for
resources, with the help of the steering committee, which involved
creating a plan and a budget proposal.

This isn't that different from other parts of the real world; as
department chair, I have a very limited discretionary budget, and
anything non-trivial requires pleading with the dean. I still get held
responsible if things don't work right, even if that's due to limited
resources...