[rfc-i] Some questions about the RFC Editor restructuring plan

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 7 05:33:34 PDT 2008

It is not clear whether the discussion is based on experience in the
technical and scientific publishing world, or if the rough
correspondence is an accident. I sit on the steering committee of the
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, and their model, which is very
similar to most journals I know of, is as follows:

- The steering committee selects an editor-in-chief, for a finite, non-
renewable term. That position is a volunteer position. The EiC sets
general policy (usually in discussions with the steering committee),
gets involved in editorial disputes, nominates new associate editors
and observes the work flow. In particular, the EiC is generally held
responsible if the time-to-publish starts increasing. The position is
assumed to be part-time for the person holding it. The EiC is not
expected to read every paper that is published and does not generally
make accept/reject decisions, but may get involved in process-level
issues, such as perceived unfairness or incompetence by an associate
editor.

(Some compsci journals have long-term EiCs; IEEE and ACM seem to have
term limits.)

- The EiC is supported by an assistant, paid by the technical society,
to manage the day-to-day affairs of the journal, such as hounding
tardy associate editors or answering author questions.

- Copy editing and production are handled by a separate entity,
typically the society and its contractors, on a timescale that is
measured in decades, i.e., independent of the term of the EiC.

- Some magazines (say, IEEE Network Magazine) have special editors for
major sections.

There are obvious similarities to the proposal and, in some aspects,
the RFC series has strong similarities to journal publishing. (It is
no accident that RFCs got an ISSN, after all.) Thus, it may be useful
to see if there are lessons and terminology that can be adopted.

Henning