[rfc-i] Description of the current situation (Was: Proposal for Handling RFC Errata

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Sep 14 06:31:44 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 12:13:40PM -0600,
 Danny McPherson <danny at tcb.net> wrote
 a message of 35 lines which said:

> The RFC Editor has drafted a proposal for handling RFC
> errata.  The proposal is available in the Internet-Drafts
> repository as:
>
>    draft-rfc-editor-errata-process-00.txt

This draft says:

> 1.2.  Current Errata Process

>  o  Review email and relevant RFCs to ensure that the reported errata
>      are real.

But the current Web page states in bold:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata2.html

> In general, we cannot guarantee the correctness of these errata; the
> reader must make his/her own judgment.

Which seems contradictory. Does the RFC editor check or not? If it
currently checks, it should not put the warning above. If it does not,
the process could be made faster.

Or is the warning just legal boilerplate, intended to be ignored?