[rfc-i] [Tools-discuss] updated Word template and tools

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed Feb 14 08:04:59 PST 2007

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/ions.html
>>
>> That was agreed to as an experiment. There doesn't appear to be a
>> process in place for these as yet.
>
> Well, we have three approved ones so far, and two more just exited
> public comment.

The RFC-Editor page has no reference to them. The IETF pages have no
clear indication of them. Your roadmap doc from Aug 06 has no reference
to them. RFC4228 has no indication of how to submit them. They're buried
under the IESG directory now. And this is not an IESG process doc.

While this is an interesting experiment, and might be useful for minutes
and the like, I don't agree that it is ready for other documents at this
point.

>> I'll consider participating in that track after BCP 78 is in that
>> series; that will convince me it exists and that it's ready for use.
>
> Joe, by definition, a BCP will *never* be an ION. IONs are not for
> rules; they are only for operational procedures.

See Section 3 of the RFC; it specifically calls for moving BCP 78 into
an ION. I appreciate that this may result in its losing the "BCP" title,
but I thought the idea above was otherwise clear.

Joe

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment