[rfc-i] Nice example of ASCII art in RFCs

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Fri Sep 29 10:12:33 PDT 2006

Hello,

I just came across RFC 55, which was put online again by a somewhat
heroic effort of Anthony Anderberg in 2000.  It contains some nice
ASCII diagrams.  I offer this example as a data point, illustrating
why some claim that ASCII is sufficient for RFCs.  (And I find it
kinda fun).

I personally favor Klensin's approach of allowing an (unedited) PDF
file containing diagrams and figures to supplement a .txt file.  But
both sides of this very old argument have a point, and this example
illustrates one of them.

Bob Braden