[rfc-i] multi-paragraph abstracts in rfc-index.xml

Aaron Falk falk at ISI.EDU
Wed Mar 29 10:15:43 PST 2006

Hi folks-

We've made a change to rfc-index.xml and rfc-index.xsd to allow
abstracts which are more than one paragraph.  Our solution has the
effect of changing the xsd and format for all abstracts.   Since I am
not an XML expert, I've put the file in a temporary location [1] so
you can poke at it and let us know if it's OK.

Specifically, here's the relevant part of the XSD diff:

<               <xsd:element name="abstract" type="xsd:string"
minOccurs="0"/>
---
 >               <xsd:element name="abstract">
 >                   <xsd:complexType>
 >                     <xsd:sequence>
 >                       <xsd:element name="p" type="xsd:string"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
 >                     </xsd:sequence>
 >                   </xsd:complexType>
 >                 </xsd:element>

and here's a sample multi-para abstract:

<abstract><p>The Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) provides a
data exchange format for trading purposes while integrating existing
pure payment protocols seamlessly. This motivates the multiple lay
ered system architecture which consists of at least some generic IOTP
application core and multiple specific payment modules. </p><p> This
document addresses a common interface between the IOTP application cor
e and the payment modules, enabling the interoperability between
these kinds of modules. Furthermore, such an interface provides the
foundations for a plug-in-mechanism in actual implementations of IOTP
applic
ation cores. </p><p> Such interfaces exist at the Consumers', the
Merchants' and the Payment Handlers' installations connecting the
IOTP application core and the payment software components/legacy
systems. Thi
s memo provides information for the Internet community. </p></abstract>

[1] files are at
     ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/rfc-index-trial.xml
     ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/rfc-index-trial.xsd

Comments are welcome...

--aaron

PS.  We are also in search of a good (preferably free) linux-based or
web-based xml and schema validator.   xmllint for linux doesn't seem
to support schema and http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xmltools/
xsdvalidator/ doesn't like the file size of rfc-index.xml